Sunday 19 May 2013

Fri 17th, Ningaloo Station

Wind stayed down overnight, woke up to a calm morning. Sunny with a few patches of scattered light cloud.

The sheet saga continues. We left home without the second set of queen sheets. Picked up what we thought were a set from Target on the way, this turned out to be a fitted sheet and a pair of pillow cases. Next Target we picked up a top sheet, Chris went to make the bed this morning to find it is another fitted sheet instead of what the packaging says. One unhappy lady!

Jeff, Helen, Chris and myself went a few kilometres north into Commonwealth Defence land where we took one of the many short tracks into the beach for a spot of snorkelling, fishing, paddling etc. The beach had a small,section of clear water to the front with a mix of rock and weed heading out intersperced with some sandy areas. Had to fish close in for starters to avoid snags.

Helen and Chris tried a snorkel but there was nothing there in the easily accessible areas.

Finally Remembered I did have a float in the limited tackle collection I had with me so put that in with a ganged pilchard (head on first hook), picked up a tropical long tom 800mm long within the first 20 minutes. My fish Id book says good eating so keep it. Rerig and cast out again, within 15 minutes have another big hit on the rig but it is a miss. I fillet the long tom, I've never seen such a long rib cage in my life, a pain to fillet.

Helen has heard a 10:30am forecast for the area predicting strong winds and rain for the area. Chris and her want to leave tomorrow. Chris suggests afternoon but I won't agree to packing up in the middle of the day. I start packing up the fishing gear, repack the car to get the it back in. Strip the rods and put them on the roof rack. Try and get rid of the smell from the stuff going in the car, I've lost the lid to the big fishing bucket in the big winds of last Friday night and that is where all the smelly stuff is. The problem with fishing in this setup is it takes me a couple of hours to get the gear out and rigged and the same to put it back.

Helen picks up a bit of internet in the evening and an updated wind forecast. Light winds forecast, less than 10 knots. GREAT! We are now staying, no fishing tomorrow.

Another fire tonight, not cold butbenjoyable to sit around.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment